1506 Dogwood Dr., Elkhart, IN 46514
What is the Quaker Trace Trail?
The proposed Quaker Trace Trail is a multi-use pathway from Elkhart to Bristol to Middlebury, primarily along County Road 8. Most of the trail will be paved and separated from the road. A half-mile section from the County Road 17 bridge to Echo Lane was built in 2016. The current project is to extend the trail from the Echo Lane east to Bristol. Longer-term, the path will pass through Bristol and continue along County Road 8 to connect to the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail in Middlebury.
Letters of Support for the QTT
If the QTT is to receive the governmental, charitable, and private funding that will be needed, there is an urgent need for visible demonstrations of public support. Here are ways you can participate:
1. Write letters to Public Officials.
In the next few months QTT funding will be before the County Council. Contact information is below. Some suggestions:
- Keep it brief and straight-forward.
- Keep it positive – say why we need the QTT. Don’t criticize officials or opponents.
- If you have a personal interest in the QTT (e.g. you or friends/family will use it), briefly explain. But write even if you personally won’t use the trail.
- Say why the QTT will benefit the county as a whole (e.g. quality of life, attracting businesses, safety, tourism, health, etc.)
2. Write letters to Newspapers (Elkhart, Goshen, South Bend).
The same suggestions apply. All of these papers have had articles and letters about the QTT. Letters can be submitted online:
- Elkhart Truth: http://www.elkharttruth.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/
- Goshen News: https://www.goshennews.com/site/forms/news_submissions/letter/
- South Bend Tribune: https://southbendtribune-dot-com.bloxcms-ny1.com/site/forms/online_services/letter/
County Council addresses.
Note: It is best to write an actual letter and send it to council-members’ home address. Not all the Council members use email. Remember that letters to public officials are public records, and opponents may read them.
26109 Lake Drive
Elkhart, IN 46516
24438 County Road 32
Goshen, IN 46526
John K. Letherman
53870 Crystal Creek
Elkhart, IN 46514
Darryl J. Riegsecker
P.O. Box 525
Goshen, IN 46527
823 South 7th Street
Tina M. Wenger
61634 CR 13
Goshen, IN, 46526
50745 CR 3
Elkhart, IN 4651