I’m always surprised at how many people travel from a distance to ride the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail. They come from Detroit, Indianapolis and Chicago and all points between.
Then the other day I was looking up something about the B&O Trail west of Indianapolis on www.traillink.com, the website where the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy has a listing of all U.S. trails. I noticed that Indiana has 110 trails listed on the site, but most of them are fairly short, like five miles or less. A quick look through the list showed that the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail at 17 miles is actually one of the longer trails. Here’s a list of all trails 10 miles or larger.
- Cardinal Greenway – 62 miles
- Nickle Plate Trail – 36.9 miles
- Rivergreenway, Fort Wayne – 30.1iles
- Monon – 24 miles
- Panhandle Pathway – 21 miles
- Erie-Lackawanna – 17.7 miles
- Pumpkinvine Nature Trail – 17 miles
- Columbus People Trail – 15.7 miles
- Vandalia Trail – 16 miles
- Milwaukee Road Transportation Trailway – 10.3 miles
- Prairie Duneland Trail – 10.3 miles
- Delphi Historic Trails – 10 mile