Five years ago – Dec. 2007
Pumpkinvine receives grants for $1.82 million: $517,530 supplemental grant for Shipshewana to Elkhart Co. line; $300, 854 supplemental grant for Middlebury to LaGrange Co. line; $999,489 for Wayne St. to U.S. 20 in Middlebury.
10 years ago – Dec. 2002
· Middlebury awarded $150,000 grant for .65 miles of trail between Wayne St. and York Dr.
· Jim Smith joins Friends board.
15 years ago – Dec. 1997
· The Elkhart County Board of Zoning Appeals granted the City of Goshen a special use permit to develop a linear park and trail along the Pumpkinvine corridor between State Road 4 and County Road 28.
· A cumulative gift of $500 will get founder’s name engraved on a plaque to be located on the trail.
20 years ago – Dec. 1992
· On Dec. 5 the Friends of the Pumpkinvine Steering Committee approved a constitution and bylaws. Committee members are: Larry Beachy, Linda Clark, Karen Fergison, Quinn Holdeman, Jr., William Hostetler, Galen Kauffmann, Norm Kauffmann, Joe Lehman, Lowell Miller, Chet Peachey, Sharol Raber, and John Yoder.
· Penn Central is doing an appraisal of the Pumpkinvine to determine an asking price.